PhD (Veterinary Pathology), 1995, Iowa State University
MS (Veterinary Pathology), 1992, Iowa State University
DVM (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine), 1986, Iowa State University
Swine infectious disease diagnosis, prevention and control. Particular interest in porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus, porcine circovirus and hepatitis E viruses.
2018: Iowa Veterinary Medical Association Veterinarian of the Year.
2018: Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine Alumni Association Outstanding Service Award
2017: Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors (Inducted in 2016)
2015: Iowa State University Award for Achievement in Intellectual Property
2014: Named to the “Masters of the Pork Industry” by the National Hog Farmer magazine. Link
2012: Iowa State University Award for Departmental Leadership
2004: Honorary Iowa Master Pork Producer in recognition of outstanding service to the Iowa swine industry
2004: Meritorious Service Award from the Iowa Veterinary Medical Association
2003: Pfizer Faculty Research Excellence Award.
1998: Howard W. Dunne Memorial Award for “Outstanding Service to the American Association of Swine Veterinarians and the Swine Industry”.
- Professor and Chair (2006-present), Department of Veterinary Diagnostic and Production Animal Medicine and Executive Director of the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Ames, Iowa.
- Interim Dean (June 1, 2017-September 30, 2018), Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Ames, Iowa
- Interim Associate Dean for Public Services and Outreach (2004-2005), College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
- Past member of Board of Directors (2011-2016) and President (2017) of the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians. Service on several AAVLD committees.
- Past member (2004-2007) of Board of Directors of American Association of Swine Veterinarians. Service on several AASV committees.
- Past member of the Executive Board (2000-2004) and President (2003) of the Iowa Veterinary Medical Association. Service on several IVMA committees.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians
- American Association of Swine Veterinarians
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- National Academy of Inventors
- Iowa Veterinary Medical Association
- Iowa Farm Bureau Association
- Iowa Corn Growers Association
- Iowa Cattleman’s Association
- Iowa Pork Producers Association
- Iowa Poultry Association
- Iowa State Dairy Association
Ramirez BC, Xin H, Halbur PG, Beermann DH, Hansen, SL, Linhares DCL, Peschel JM, Rademacher CJ, Reecy, JM, Ross JW, Shepherd TA, Koltes JE. At the intersection of industry, academia and government: How do we facilitate productive precision livestock farming in practice? Animals, 9(9), 635. doi:10.3390/ani9090635, 2019.
Hewitt JS, Karuppanan AK, Swan T, Gauger P, Halbur P, Gerber PF, De Groot AS, Moise L, Opriessnig T. A prime-boost concept using a T-cell epitope-driven DNA vaccine followed by a whole virus vaccine effectively protected pigs in the pandemic H1N1 pig challenge model. Vaccine 37(31), 4302-4309, 2019.
Opriessnig T, Castro AMMG, Karuppanan AK, Gauger P, Halbur PG, Matzinger SR, Meng X-J. A porcine circovirus type 2b (PCV2b)-based experimental vaccine is effective in the PCV2b-Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae coinfection pig model. Vaccine 37(44) 6688-6695, 2019.
Duffy MA, Chen Q, Zhang J, Halbur PG, Opriessnig T. Impact of dietary spray-dried bovine plasma addition on pigs infected with porcine epidemic diarrhea virus. Translational Animal Science 2 (4), 349-357, 2018.
Opriessnig T, Gauger PC, Gerber PF, Castro AMMG, Shen H, Murphy L, Digard P, Halbur PG, Xia M, Jiang X, Tan M. Comparison of the efficacy of a commercial inactivated A/H1N1/pdm09 virus (pH1N1) vaccine and two experimental M2e-based vaccines against pH1N1 challenge in the growing pig model. PloS one 13 (1), e0191739, 2018.
Opriessnig T, Gerber PF, Halbur PG. Refinement of a colostrum-deprived pig model for infectious disease research. MethodsX 5, 403-413, 2018.
Opriessnig T, Gerber PF, Matzinger SR, Meng XJ, Halbur PG. Markedly different immune responses and virus kinetics in littermates infected with porcine circovirus type 2 or porcine parvovirus type 1. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology 191:51-59, DOI: 10.1016/j.vetimm.2017.08.003, 2017.
Opriessnig T, Gerber P, Shen H, de Castro AMMG, Zhang J, Chen Q, Halbur P. Evaluation of the efficacy of a commercial inactivated genogroup 2b-based porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV) vaccine and experimental live genogroup 1b exposure against 2b challenge. Veterinary Research 48 (1), 69. DOI: 10.1186/s13567-017-042-z, 2017.
Ma Z, Yu Y, Xiao Y, Opriessnig T, Wang R, Yang L, Nan Y, Samal SK, Halbur PG, Zhang YJ. The middle half genome of interferon-inducing porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus strain A2MC2 is essential for interferon induction. Journal of General Virology 98 (7): 1720-1729, DOI: 10.1099/jgv.0.000819, 2017.
Manne S, Kondru N, Nichols T, Lehmkuhl A, Thomsen B, Main R, Halbur P, Dutta S, Kanthasamy AG. Ante-mortem detection of chronic wasting disease in recto-anal mucosa-associated lymphoid tissues from elk (Cervus elaphus nelsoni) using real-time quaking-induced conversion (RT-QuIC) assay: A blinded collaborative study. Prion 11 (6):415-430 DOI: 10.1080/19336896.2017.1368936, Nov 3:1-16, 2017.