Join Iowa State University for your graduate education in Preventive Veterinary Medicine, or Population Sciences in Animal Health!
- Iowa is #1 (US) in pork, egg, corn & soybean production. Also top 10 in sheep, beef, turkey and milk production.
- Veterinary Diagnostic and Production Animal Medicine (VDPAM) department, with budget of approximately $28 million and its 53 faculty and 137 staff are committed to supporting sustainable food animal agriculture
- VDPAM research programs include ~$19.5 million of funded grants
- Infectious diseases, theriogenology, toxicology, welfare, diagnostics, public health
- Teamwork with USDA, industry partners, commodity groups and associations…
- The ISU Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (VDL) is #1 in the USA in case numbers & revenues
- VDL faculty are leaders in applied research (recent examples, 1st to detect & develop diagnostic tools for PEDv, pioneer oral fluids testing)
- The most comprehensive food animal curriculum of all 30 US CVMs
- 90 VDPAM courses, emphasizing teaching in the most progressive livestock systems
- Over 50% of ISU students track mixed or food animal medicine
- Home of “Diseases of Swine” book, Biosecurity assessment systems, Swine Medicine Education Center (SMEC), Center for Food Security and Public Health.
Our graduate programs span the full range of population sciences in animal health including animal welfare, diagnostic medicine, disease epidemiology, knowledge transfer methods, organism ecology, production medicine, and risk assessment. Currently, we have programs that will meet a variety of needs including distance course options for practitioners or concurrent DVM students. We offer graduate programs on the Certificate, Masters, and PhD levels:
Our research opportunities frequently have interdisciplinary, collaborative approaches. We are distinctive insofar that our graduate faculty are involved in all areas of livestock health, welfare and production and many graduate faculty are involved in serving producers, veterinarians, industry groups and government agencies.
We ensure that you will have individual attention, tailored advising and research opportunities well-matched to your interests. As a graduate student here, you won’t just be a face in a crowd! Our faculty and students are operating at the cutting edge of their fields of knowledge. We are working hard to cultivate the very best graduate programs and prepare the next generation of independent, intellectual leaders in their fields.
Come and join us, be part of this story!
VDPAM Graduate Programs:
Veterinary Preventive Medicine
Graduate Certificate (15 online credits)
Masters of Science by Thesis (30 credits)
Masters of Science by Non-Thesis (36 credits)
Population Sciences in Animal Health