Kyoungjin J. Yoon
DVM (1985). Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
MS (1987): Veterinary Preventive Medicine. Seoul National University, Korea.
PhD (1995): Veterinary Microbiology. Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
Certification in Foreign Animal Diseases (1998). NVSL.
Diplomate (2000). American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (ACVM)
VDPAM - 590 Special Topic - Diagnostic Virology
Viral Diseases of livestock and Diagnostics. Current research activities are on nidoviruses (PRRSV, PEDV, SARS-CoV-2), influenza virus, parainfluenza virus, porcine rotavirus, Senecavirus A, and porcine teschovirus
- University President Award, Seoul National University (1985).
- Distinguished Service Award (Adviser Recognition award), Student Activities Center of Iowa State University (2000)
- Foreign Honorary Scientist, National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service, Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Anyang, Korea (2000 – 2007)
- Guest Professorship, Qingdao Agricultural University, Qingdao, Shandong Province, China (2010-present)
- Foreign Honorary Scientist and Advisor on Agriculture Green Technology. National Institute of Animal Science, Korea (2013-present)
- Phi Kappa Phi honor society
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
- Phi Zeta, Gamma chapter, the Honor Society of Veterinary Medicine
- Gamma Sigma Delta, the Honor Society of Agriculture
- Virology and Molecular R&D Section Leader (2012-present). Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Virology and Molecular Microbiology Section Leader (1996-2011). Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, Iowa State University. Ames, Iowa.
- Chair (2018-2019). CE Committee, American College of Veterinary Microbiologists
- Chair (2016 - 2018). Technical Committee of North Central Regional Project 229 - Porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome: Mechanisms of disease and methods for the detection, protection and elimination of PRRS virus, USDA.
- Group F Councilor (Medical & Pharma Sci, Vet Med, Nursing & Physical Ed) (2011-2013). Board of Directors, Korean-American Scientists and Engineers Association (KSEA)
- Chair (2010-2012). International Relation Committee for 2012 International Pig Veterinary Society Congress (IPVS)
- Board of Governors (2008-2011). American College of Veterinary Microbiologists
- Section Leader (2007-2018). Viral Pathogenesis Section, Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases (CRWAD)
- Organizing and Program Committee for the Iowa Emerging Infectious Disease Symposium (2008-2009)
- Member (2006-2010). National Animal Health Laboratory Network (NAHLN) Methods Working Group, USDA APHIS
- Program Committee for Annual Meetings (2005-2013). American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD)
- Associate Editor (2004-2016). Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, AAVLD
- Faculty Adviser (2002-2005). Korean Student Association at Iowa State University
- Central Iowa Chapter President (1998-2008). Korean-American Scientists and Engineers Association
- Chair (1997-1998). Technical Committee of North Central Regional Project 197 - Research in support of a national eradication program for pseudorabies, USDA.
- American Association of Swine Veterinarians
- American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians
- American Association of Veterinary Microbiologists
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Society for Virology
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Association of Teachers of Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine
- Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases
- Iowa Veterinary Medical Association
- Korean-American Scientists and Engineers Association
- Korean Veterinary Society of America
Goggle Scholar page for the complete list.
Refereed publications (2018-2020)
- Yuan J, Kim H-J, Filtrup CT, Guo B, Imerman P, Ensley S, Yoon K-J. 2020. Utility of a PCR-based method for rapid and specific detection of toxigenic Microcystis spp. in farm ponds. J Vet Diagn Invest 32:369-381.
- Kirchdoerfer RN, Bhandari M, Martini O, Sewall LM, Bangaru S, Yoon K-J, Ward AB. 2020. Structure and immune recognition of the porcine epidemic diarrhea virus spike protein. BioRxiv (doi: 10.1101/2020.02.18.955195)
- Qi Y, Lohman J, Bratlie KM, Peroutka-Bigus N, Bellaire B, Wannemuehler M, Yoon K-J, Barrett TA, Wang Q. 2019. Vitamin C and B3 as new biomaterials to alter intestinal stem cells. J Biomed Mater Res 107:1886-1897.
- Ross K, Senapati S, Alley J, Darling R, Goodman J, Jefferson M, Uz M, Guo B, Yoon, K-J, Verhoeven D, Wannemuehler M, Kohut M, Mallapragada S, Narasimhan B. 2019. Single dose combination nanovaccine provides protection against influenza A virus in young and aged mice. Biomater Sci 7:809-821.
- Buckely A, Kulshrestha V, van Green A, Montiel N, Guo B, Yoon K, Lager K. 2019. Experimental Seneca Valley virus infection in market-weight gilts. Vet Microbiol 231:7-10.
- Martin BE, Sun H, Carrel M, Cummingham FL, Baroch JA, Hanson-Dorr KC, Young SG, Schmit B, Nolting J, Yoon K-J, Lutman MW, Pedersen K, Lager K, Bowman A, Slemons R, Smith DR, DeLiberto T, Wan X-F. 2018. US Feral Swine were exposed to both avian and swine influenza A viruses. Appl Environ Microbiol 83:e01346-17.
- Buckley A, Montiel N, Guo B, Kulshreshtha V, Van Green A, Hoang H, Rademacher C, Yoon K-J, Lager K. 2018. Dexamethasone treatment did not exacerbate Seneca Valley virus infection in nursery-aged pigs. BMC Vet Res 14:352.
- Chen Q, Wang L, Zheng Y, Zhang J, Guo B, Yoon K-J, Gauger PC, Harmon KM, Main RG, Li G. 2018. Metagenomic analysis of the RNA fraction of the fecal virome indicates high diversity in pigs infected by porcine endemic diarrhea virus in the United States. Virol J 15:95.
- Curry SM, Burrough ER, Schwartz KJ, Yoon K-J, Lonergan SM, Gabler NK. 2018. Porcine epidemic diarrhea virus reduces feed efficiency in nursery pigs. J Ani Sci. 96:85-97.
- Cha S-H, Bandaranayak-Mudiyanselage C, Bandaranayak-Mudiyanselage CB, Ajiththos D, Yoon K-J, Gibson KA, Yu J-E, Cho I-S, Lee SS, Chung CJ. 2018. Preliminary assessment on correlation between T-lymphocyte response and control of PRRSV in piglets born after in-utero infection of a PRRSV-2 strain. Kor J Vet Res 58:9-16.
Books and book chapters:
- Zhang J, Yoon K-J, Zimmerman JJ. 2019. Overview of viruses. In: J.J. Zimmerman, et al. Diseases of Swine (11th edition), pp 425-437. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Co., Ames, Iowa.
- Mettenleiter TC, Ehlers B, Müller T, Yoon K-J, Teifke JP. 2019. Herpesviruses (Aujeszky’s disease virus, porcine cytomegalovirus, porcine lymphotropic herpesviruses, malignant catarrhal fever virus). In: J.J. Zimmerman, et al Diseases of Swine (11th edition), pp 548-575. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Co., Ames, Iowa.
- Yoo HS, Yoon KJ. 2014. The overview of Mycobacterium bovis infection in domestic and wild animals in Korea. In: C.O. Thoen, J.H. Steele, J.B. Kaneene (eds). Zoonotic tuberculosis: Mycobacterium bovis and other pathogenic mycobacteria (3rd edition), pp 203-212. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Co., Ames, Iowa.
- Zimmerman JJ, Yoon K-J (editors). 2003. PRRS Compendium: A comprehensive reference on PRRS for pork producers, veterinary practitioners, and researchers (2nd edition). National Pork Board, Des Moines, Iowa. 294 pages.