The Department of Veterinary Pathology offers graduate courses and training programs that lead to either an MS or PhD in Veterinary Pathology. The residency programs combined with a graduate degree are for individuals who have already earned a DVM or equivalent. In certain circumstances, a student with a BS or MS may be considered for the graduate program. We are very proud of our graduate's accomplishments in the areas of research and residency training and a few of their accomplishments can be found here. The Graduate College information is here.
- Master's degree (MS) information and course requirements
- PhD (areas of emphasis listed below)
For veterinarians, the department offers opportunities for the PhD in veterinary pathology to emphasize one of three areas. PhD requires 72 graduate credits (12 credits from outside major field).
Several members of the Veterinary Pathology faculty are also involved in multiple interdepartmental graduate training programs. Students may be admitted into these programs and have research projects in the Veterinary Pathology Department. See the links below for more information and application instructions.
- Toxicology/Interdepartmental Toxicology Program
- Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology
*ACVP CERTIFICATION TRAINING
For veterinarians, the department offers a combined residency/Ph.D. program leading to board certification by the American College of Veterinary Pathologists (ACVP)
- Criteria and Best Practices
- Program of Study (POS) Committee
- The Program of Study (POS) Committee in the department is approved by the department Chair and DOGE. For degrees in the department, fifty percent of the committee must be composed of faculty with the Department of Veterinary Pathology as their primary appointment department. The POS committee must be chaired or co-chaired by a Graduate Faculty member who has their primary appointment in the Department of Veterinary Pathology.
College of Veterinary Medicine
Veterinary Pathology Room 2720
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011 - 1134