- The Ohio State University, Wooster, Ohio. 3/2003
- Doctor of Philosophy (Veterinary Microbiology)
- The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio. 1/1998
- Master of Science (Veterinary Microbiology)
- University of Ankara, Ankara, Turkey. 6/1993
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
- Diplomate of The American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (2008)
- VDPAM 488 - Clinical Microbiology Rotation, Co-instructor
- VDPAM 625 - Bacterial Pathogenesis, Guest lecturer
- Molecular diagnostic of bacterial pathogens; Food safety and antimicrobial resistance; Epidemiology, pathogenesis, genomics, and control of bacterial pathogens of importance to animal health, food safety and public health; Campylobacter
American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians, Biomic V3/Giles Scientific Award for Excellence in Diagnostic Veterinary Microbiology, 2022
Zoetis Award for Veterinary Research Excellence at the ISU College of Veterinary Medicine, 2022
Award for Mid-Career Achievement in Research, ISU College of Veterinary Medicine, 2021
Diplomate of The American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (ACVM), certified in Bacteriology/Mycology specialty (2008).
Recipient of a scholarship award from Ministry of Education of Turkey for master and Ph.D. studies in the United States. (1995-2003)
Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center (OARDC) Annual Conference Poster Award, second place. 2001
Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases (CRWAD), Poster Award in Comparative Gastroenterology, first place. 1999.
- ISU VDL Bacteriology Section Leader
- Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases (CRWAD), Program Committee Member, Moderator
- American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD), Moderator; Abstract Reviewer; Member of Bacteriology and Antimicrobial Susceptibility subcommittees; Co-chair, Bacteriology and Mycology Subcommittee
- FDA Vet-LIRN, faculty representative of ISU Vet Med
- NC-1202 (Enteric Diseases of Food Animals: Enhanced Prevention, Control and Food Safety). NCRA (The North Central Regional Association), Iowa Agriculture and Home Economics Experiment Station, Multistate Research Project, ISU representative; Secretary
- American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (ACVM), Graduate Students Awards Committee Chair.
- ISU Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC), primary member.
- Ad-hoc peer reviewer for research proposals submitted to many different institutions
- Editorial Board Member (Avian Diseases, Frontiers in Microbiology)
- Ad-hoc peer reviewer for manuscripts submitted to many different scientific journals
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM), 2001-present.
- Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases (CRWAD), 1999-present.
- American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD), 2010-present.
- Iowa Veterinary Medical Association (IVMA), 2018-present.
- Iowa State University, Antimicrobial Resistance Consortium, Representative, Diagnostic Core Unit, 2017-present.
- ISU National Institute of Antimicrobial Resistance Research & Education (NIAMRRE), Scientist member, 2020 – present.
- Delta Chapter of Phi Zeta, the international honor society of veterinary medicine, 2003-present.
Mehmet Cemal Adiguzel, Debora Brito Goulart, Lei Dai, Zuowei Wu, Jinji Pang, Seyda Cengiz, Qijing Zhang, and Orhan Sahin*. 2021. Distribution of CRISPR types in fluoroquinolone resistant Campylobacter jejuni isolates. Pathogens 2021, 10(3), 345; https://doi.org/10.3390/pathogens10030345.
Mehmet Cemal Adiguzel, Alper Baran, Zuowei Wu, Seyda Cengiz, Lei Dai, Cihan Oz, Esma Ozmenli, Debora Goulart, Orhan Sahin*. 2020. Prevalence of colistin resistance in Escherichia coli in eastern Turkey and genomic characterization of an mcr-1 positive strain from retail chicken meat. Microbial Drug Resistance. DOI: 10.1089/mdr.2020.0209
Henthorn CR, Minion FC, Sahin O*. 2018. Utilization of Macrophage Extracellular Trap Nucleotides by Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae. Microbiology, 164:1394-1404. *Corresponding author and Major Professor of the graduate student (CRH).
Gregory M, Brianna Klein, Sahin O, and George Girgis. 2018. Isolation and Characterization of Campylobacter hepaticus from Layer Chickens with Spotty Liver Disease in the United States. Avian Dis. 62(1):79-85.
Tang Y, *Sahin O, Pavlovic N, LeJeune J, Carlson J, Wu Z, Dai L, and *Zhang Q. 2017. Rising fluoroquinolone resistance in Campylobacter isolated from feedlot cattle in the United States. Sci Rep. 29:7 (1). *Co-corresponding authors.
Sahin O*, Samantha A. Terhorst*, Eric R. Burrough, Zhangqi Shen, Zuowei Wu, Lei Dai, Paul J. Plummer, Michael J. Yaeger, and Qijing Zhang. 2017. Key role of capsular polysaccharide in the induction of systemic infection and abortion by hypervirulent Campylobacter jejuni. Infect Immun. 85 (6): e00001-17. *Equally contributed.
Sahin O, Yaeger M, Wu Z, and Zhang Q. Campylobacter-associated diseases in animals. 2017. Annu Rev Anim Biosci. 8(5): 21-42. (Invited review article).
Wu Z., P. Periaswamy, O. Sahin, M. Yaeger, P. Plummer, W. Zhai, Z. Shen, L. Dai, S. L. Chen, and Q. Zhang. 2016. Point mutations in the major outer membrane protein drive hypervirulence of a rapidly expanding clone of Campylobacter jejuni. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 113 (38):10690-95.
Sahin O, Zhangqi Shen, and Qijing Zhang. 2017. Methods to study antimicrobial resistance in Campylobacter jejuni. Methods Mol Biol. 1512:29-42 (invited article).
Sahin O, Paul J. Plummer, Kapllan Sulaj, Sonia Pereira, Suelee Robbe-Austerman, Dianna M. Jordan, Liping Wang, Michael J. Yaeger, Lorraine J. Hoffman and Qijing Zhang. 2008. Emergence of a Tetracycline-resistant Campylobacter jejuni Clone Associated with Outbreaks of Ovine Abortion in the United States. J Clin Microbiol. 46, 1663-1671.